Friday, November 2, 2012

Up, Up, and Away!



Up, Up, and Away!
One of my favorite books is an allegory, Hind's Feet on High Places. "The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like Hind's feet, and He will make me walk upon my high places." Hab. 3:19 (hind = female deer). In the story the main character's name is Much Afraid. She sets out on a journey of growth but is weak and confused a great deal of the time. The Good Shepherd guides her and sends helpers to advise her. Half way through her journey up the mountain, she finds herself lost in a mist of discouragement. She is going around the mountain in circles and doesn't realize it until someone points out that the path she has taken is staying level instead of climbing upward and upward. She has worn herself out traveling that path and she does not think she can take another step or find the path upward. Like always, she is guided to the path but then she must climb. The Shepherd teaches her a song that helps her forget the aching muscles, scratches and bruises. The mist clears and she begins to climb higher again toward the High Places. ..... ..... ....
 
How does that relate to dieting? Well, there are times when it just seems too hard a path! Or the weight does not fall off for a week or two! I begin to get lost in a mist of discouragement. I begin to remember all the hard work, the nights when thoughts of food clawed at every part of your mind. I feel like shouting - "What's the use!" What can I do when this happens, when I am lost in depression and can't seem to climb the path upward? I don't know the answer for you, but for me music helps a great deal. Reading positive, encouraging scriptures and searching for the truth also helps me find the path upward. Recording my thoughts in this blog and reading the posts with the scriptures and songs reminds me of God's comfort in the past. Singing and listening to music makes the path bearable. Is it easy? No way! Is it worth it? Absolutely!
 
Hebrews 12 - "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God. ....Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed." ..... ..... ..... .....
 
These verses hold so many messages for me personally. I am in a wheelchair and can do so little, compared to others when it comes to exercise. With God's help, I do what I can to strengthen my drooping body and broken, weak legs. I take one day, one moment at a time and with prayer, I do the best that I can - with the strength given me. Do I pray for healing? Yes! Do I believe He can heal me? Yes! Do I get discouraged when the healing does not happen? Yes! I have learned that a lack of healing sometimes is not a matter of faith but it is about God's timing and my own personal path to High Places. I cannot always see the reasoning through the mist but if I am climbing upward - I know heaven is around the corner!
 
Lord, thank you for being my ever present guide on this path upward. Please help me when I become discouraged. Show me the way and teach me your songs of praise so that I can travel the path up the mountain joyfully. Help me to be an encouragement to others that are climbing upward. Lord, help me realize that sometimes I am in the valley to help others find the way to you. In Your name I plead for guidance, Amen



Empty with Dan Haseltine Matt Hammitt (Music Inspired by The Story) from worshiphousemedia on GodTube.





No comments:

Post a Comment