Monday, November 12, 2012

Temper, Temper...



 
 
Temper, Temper!
Temperment - it is an odd word. It is mostly used to describe the characteristic or habitual inclination that we have in any given situation, it also means - the act or process of tempering or modifying something or someone. It is that definition that I wanted to focus on today, mostly because I need an upgrade, a modification. If I am going to succeed at living a life without eating as a crutch, I will need to be modified greatly.
I Peter 4:12-13, "Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner." The Message Version
Same verses in New International version. " Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice in as much as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed"
From what I have heard in sermons, the same Greek terminology that is translated as "testing" or "refining" also is used to describe what a blacksmith does when he places the blade of a sword into the fire, over and over again. This is called tempering the metal or modifying it so that it grows stronger and stronger. At this point in my life, that is what I feel is happening to me. I am being tempered or modified. Even if it seems the pain, temptation, and loneliness are overwhelming at times, it is just preparing me for what God has in store for me. God's plan for the future here on earth includes more pain but He makes sure I am well tempered or refined before I am asked to walk through fire. Later Peter writes:
"Control yourselves. Be on your guard. Your enemy the devil is like a roaring lion. He prowls around looking for someone to chew up and swallow. Stand up to him. Stand firm in what you believe. All over the world you know that your brothers and sisters are going through the same kind of suffering. God always gives you all the grace you need. So you will only have to suffer for a little while. Then God himself will build you up again. He will make you strong and steady. And he has chosen you to share in his eternal glory because you belong to Christ. Give him the power for ever and ever. Amen." I Peter 5:8-11
I have God's promise that no matter what "tempering" or testing I go through ~ He will restore me, build me up again. He will give me a kind of strength that I can't even imagine. Is it worth the pain of being modified, upgraded? Yes! Just think, I am being prepared and changed so that I can share in eternal glory. Not just sit at the pearly gates but actually come to the throne of God and sing praises with the redeemed. Wow!
Lord, I come before you wanting to be tempered, changed, and modified. I am uncertain how that is going to be done and I am also afraid of the process. Give me strength to go back in the fire, if that is what it take to glorify you. Help me not to loose my temper when the pain starts or when others are cruel. Change me into someone who is strong and couragous. Whatever it takes, you are in control of my life. In the name of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I pray this prayer, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment