Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Release the Balloons


Release the Balloons
In Psalm 30:5, David says, "Joy comes in the morning." I find that it is easier to find joy in the morning time. Even with aching muscles and bad breath, I find it easier to be joyful in the morning, before the pressures of the day come to mind and I start rushing around. The day starts out full of promise and hope.
Psalm 5:11-12 (New Living Translation): "But let all who take refuge in You rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy. For you bless the godly, O Lord, you surround them with your shield of love."
Psalm 119:1-2: "Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the Lord. Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts."
My religious upbringing was far from joyful and time in church was spent sitting up straight and not drawing attention to yourself in any way.
A story by Bruce Larson illustrates what worship service was like for me and it still resembles many assemblies today:
"A conference at a church was being held. People were given helium-filled balloons and told to release them at some point in the service when they felt like expressing  joy in their hearts. Since they were a ____ group (denomination omitted), they weren't free to say "Hallelujah, Praise the Lord!" All through the service balloons ascended, but when it was over one-third of the balloons were unreleased."
What does that story mean to me? It is important that my worship be all about praising God. That alone! Yes, edifying or uplifting others goes hand in hand with this. I think that worship should be the family of God coming together to feast on His word and glorify His name. The focus cannot and should not be about me or my gift. In the past I have worried about offending others and I have been too "uptight" to worship God joyfully.  I did not want to draw attention to myself but wanted my worship to God to be blended into what the rest of the congregation was doing. Well, I have changed my mind!
It is time to release my balloons!
"This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!" Psalm 118:24
Lord, help me to see your beauty and glory in the early morning light. Help me to follow your instructions given in your word. Thank you Lord for your mercy and grace. Please take the chains off my heart, free my hands so they may rise up in praise to you, and Lord open my mouth so that I can praise your name loudly with joy. In my Savior's name I pray, Amen.




Let The Morning Bring from tracybarfield on GodTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment