Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fitting In - No Way!



"As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure." Ps 18:30-32
I was raised in a family system that was out of control but no one would acknowledge the problems.(the "elephant" in the room)With no outlet for truth, family members turned to lives led in secret andeventually suicide (one or more in every generation).

I took comfort in food. Since my "problem" was eating, I was the most visible family member to focus on. So my family never let up. I would receive at least 3 or 4 diet books each Christmas. If I brought up the obvious larger problems in the family (incest, abuse, alcoholism, drug abuse etc.), I was forced to flee a gauntlet of pain. I was like a ghost that lived outside of their "truth" and I would silently scream "What is wrong with you? Can't you see?!" I fled to sweets and peanut butter for escape.
Their truths were supported by TV, pictures of models, etc. Something was really wrong with me because I did not look like the "norm". Well, now - in America - the norm is looking more and more like me! That can only mean that our nation is more than a little like my family - unwilling to see the real problems and running toward a marketed, artificial life that is not focused on truth and healing.

As I battle to see the truth for my life and control my emotions and thoughts with God's help, I find that I am surrounded by images, products, etc. that are not based in truth. This makes the journey a little more difficult, to say the least. I am sure there are others that also fight for the "truth" in their own families, work place, etc.

Every time I go to God's word, I see truth. And today I was led there again:
"The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there!
The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way—never have and never will.
The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.
Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. "
2 Cor. 10:3-6 MSG


One of my favorite songs is "The Voice of Truth" sung by Casting Crowns. I have placed it in over 20 blog posts. It makes me cry every time. It's words echo my heart's cry:
"Oh what I would do to have the kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves; to step out of my comfort zone - To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand but the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!You'll never win"
But the voice of truth tells me a different story and the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory" - Out of all the voices calling out to me I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth"

God's Grace is amazing! He is helping me each day eat healthy, be "real", and grow in faith. My prayer is that He does the same for each person who is struggling with compulsive eating, all those focused on searching for the truth and not trying to be the "norm" seen in the media. Let's not loose weight to Fit In!

Lord God, thank you for your Word and the new life you have given to me. Help me to hear the Voice of Truth daily. Create in me a new heart. In Christ's name I pray, Amen





Dan Stevers - Scars from dan_stevers on GodTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment