Friday, May 17, 2013

Senior Centered



Senior Centered

I have been living in a Senior Community for 2 years now. It has taken a while to get used to living around people that are 10 to 30 years older than I am. This is what I have learned most from my neighbors: When we get older, we become increasingly aware that we need God. Does this mean that all my neighbors have focused their life more on the Lord? No way! Many are bitter, complaining people who only have negative and harsh things to say about everyone. Some are going through various stages of Alsheimers or senility and it is hard to tell what kind of spiritual life that had before their brain and emotions were touched by decease. Thankfully the neighbor next to me is a christian and only wants to give and help others ... even if she asks to help every 5 minutes.

David prayed to God in Psalm 71: "O Lord, I have come to you for protection; don’t let me be disgraced. Save me and rescue me, for you do what is right. Turn your ear to listen to me, and set me free. Be my rock of safety where I can always hide. Give the order to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. .....And now, in my old age, don’t set me aside. Don’t abandon me when my strength is failing."

 Psalm 71 is worth reading completely.
 
An anonymous author wrote and prayed this prayer and I thought that it fit my position in life:
 
 "O,Lord, You know I am growing older! Keep me from closing my eyes to the fact. Keep me from becoming a pest, a self-appointed sage with the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Keep me from the temptation of trying to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful, not moody; helpful, not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom it seems a pity not to use it all - but Lord, You know I don't want to lose all my friends by boring them with the past. Keep my mind free from the recital of all my experiences and endless details. Seal my lips about my arthritis and swollen ankles. My aches and pains are unceasing, and rehearsing them is becoming sweeter by day. Teach me to admit that sometimes I am mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. Make me more considerate as my age progresses. Let me never grow old - only older. Father, thank you for overseeing my life to this point in time. My hope is only in You. As I grow older help me to grow to be more like You. In Jesus' name, Amen."







No comments:

Post a Comment