Monday, June 17, 2013

A Candid Picture


A Candid Picture

Psalm 119:129-133, "Every word you give me is a miracle word— how could I help but obey? Break open your words, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning. Mouth open and panting, I wanted your commands more than anything. Turn my way, look kindly on me, as you always do to those who personally love you. Steady my steps with your Word of promise..."(the Message Version)


God has blessed me with something to do! I am calling members of the congregation and setting up appointments to have their pictures taken for the directory. Then I am taking the pictures, editing them, and updating the Servant Keeper software on the church commuter with the new pictures.
Some people are a little nervous when the lights on the lightstand are shining on them. I love talking to people on the phone, so God has given me just the right task. When it comes to the pictures that I edit, there are no red eyes, no glares on the glasses, and I can even photoshop the smiling face on one picture to another picture of the same family. In the end the picture is pretty good.

Jesus gave me a very candid, real picture of what a life lived for God looks like. Mathew 10:39 says, “ Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

He called himself “The Truth”, and as He calls His disciples He is careful to inform them of the cost in following. His candid description of discipleship caused some to turn back, but those who followed knew what to expect.

Jesus gave His followers then, as He gives me now, the power to do what He wants done. Here I was just writing about how hard relationships are for me and how unsafe I feel when I am surrounded by people – then God provides me with a task that is not frightening at all. I am getting to know people in the congregation when they are at their most vulnerable (or at least they feel that way). Because I have felt so insecure myself, it is easy for me to reassure them and tell them how wonderful they look (as I take their pictures).

God is truly awesome! Even though I am tired tonight, I had to write about how God is knitting together my life and picking up the dropped stitches to make me a whole person; able to work for Him.

I John 4:16: “God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.”
Holy Father, help me to fix my eyes on Jesus so that daily struggles do not blind me from seeing eternal goals. Lord cause me to remember I am never alone while I walk with You. In Christ, my Redeemer's name, Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment